A couple people have asked me already asking if I will be doing a review of REAL Studio 2010 Release 5 (which was released this week). The answer is, yes, of course. However, I will be waiting until R5.1 for the full review since RS has already stated it is coming.
I’ll share some initial thoughts on R5:
- Web Edition is interesting but it is only a 1.0 product. There are more than a few quircks yet to be worked out from top to bottom and thus I can’t really recommend it for clients – yet.
- I’m working on a major project using Web Edition. For the most part it’s just like making desktop apps except the controls and events are slightly (if not irritatingly) different.
- Unlearning 10 years of REALbasic habits is going to take a while since some things just aren’t possible right now (e.g. web page constructors don’t work quite the same way as they do in desktop apps).
- I’m disappointed that RS does not have some good web app examples running on their website (or any website) by now. This is the message it sends to potential users: “Hey, look at this nifty new development tool for web apps. It works even though we’re not showing anything on our website! Trust us! Really! You’re going to love it!”
- If you’re looking for something new or impressive for either desktop apps or more news on Cocoa then I’d say talk to me in 2011.
Anyway, more in-depth review and news when R5.1 comes out.