Real Software announced today the dates and location for the 2012 Real World event. It will be held in Orlando Florida May 24-25. I think it’s great news that the Real Software is bringing back Real World. I’ve always enjoyed them and I highly recommend going to one if you’ve never been to one before.
Thoughts in no particular order:
- I’m glad it’s not in Austin, TX again. I like Austin, but there’s not much draw to come back year after year. Orlando, FL is an obvious, “let’s take the family” location and should be a draw. How much of a draw remains to be seen.
- The early bird discount is $500 and then increases to $600 and finally to $700 for last minute bookings. The pricing seems a little hefty, but then this is at a premier hotel rather than a hotel out by the airport. It’s nice that early booking gets you a 30% discount coupon in the Real Studio Store.
- Orlando has a ton of stuff to do: Disney World, Epcot Center, Seaworld, Harry Potter World, Universal Studios, Kennedy Space Center (a short drive), and much, much more. The drawback is that none of it is cheap so be prepared to drop some cash to do those things. But, as they say, this is a destination location so you come knowing that it’s going to cost you.
- Does the location make that big of a difference? It depends. The two ARBP conferences were in non-destination locations which meant very few brought their families and that meant we were all happy with minimal accommodations. We were all just happy to be in a room talking about Real Studio.
- The May 24-25 dates are the Thursday and Friday before Memorial Day weekend which is the start of the summer holiday season in the United States. Will people be willing to take their summer vacation early? I don’t know.
- Perhaps one of the bigger issues is what to do with the kids. For many school districts school is still in session. For my son his last day of sixth grade will be May 25. The timing already limits its appeal for me and my family.
- It’s cute they used one of my old quotes on their announcement page. It’s from one of the previous Real Worlds.
- No word yet, obviously, on speakers or tracks. It’s many months away yet and I would suspect Real Software will announce a call for speakers.
I love the Real World events and normally I’d say it’s a no brainer but the timing is awful for my family. What do you think of the announcement? Does having it in a destination city appeal to you or not? Would you bring the family?