Last week at the Xojo Developers Conference in Denver, BKeeney Shorts was awarded the Best Developer Tool as part of the Xojo Design Awards ceremony. Being recognized as a great reporting tool for Xojo makes all the hard work worth it. Often times it’s a labor of love for developer products and it’s nice to be recognized for designing something that many Xojo developers require in their products.
BKeeney Shorts is a set of classes and controls that allow developers to create complex dynamic reports. Xojo desktop application developers can embed the Reporter Designer in their applications using a simple drop-in container. Reports can be displayed in Xojo desktop and web apps using a drop-in viewer container. Reports can be exported to HTML, CSV, or PDF (using the DynaPDF plugin from Monkeybread Software). If you’d like to know more about Shorts please visit https://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bkeeney-shorts/
To celebrate this achievement we’re giving everyone a 20% discount for Shorts! Use http://sites.fastspring.com/bkeeney/product/shorts20&coupon=XDC2018 to redeem this coupon. Hurry, this offer expires on May 31st.
BKeeney Software has been doing Xojo development for a long time. Our clients span continents and industries and when we’ve needed something that doesn’t already exist we’ve created it. This is how ActiveRecord/ARGen and Shorts came into existence. In both of those cases we used them internally for quite a while before making them available for others. Some products, like Formatted Text Control, were purchased when the developer left the community and since we depended on the product we decided to keep up development on it.
The question of the day is this: What components does the Xojo developer community really need/want that we don’t have yet?
To me, the clear winner is a nice grid component. At one point I recommended the Einhugur StyleGrid and DataGrid controls but it was never updated for HiDPI and there are no plans to do so. As far as I know there aren’t really any good replacements for them. Add any suggestions to the comments below.
We use a ton of plugins but it makes no sense to have every plugin installed for every project. We also don’t update plugins unless we have a need so a minor update to a three year old application probably doesn’t need the latest plugin. Managing plugins across vendors is a real pain. Likewise managing Xojo versions for client projects is a chore because one project might be on Xojo 2015 R4.1 for some technical reason while another is at a newer version (but not the latest) and some projects are on the 2017 R2.1. While it’s not hard to manage all this it’s harder managing that across multiple developers. I’d love to have a utility to manage Xojo and its plugins by project. As far as I know there’s nothing out there that does all of this. Do I need to write this myself? And really, how many developers need this level of Xojo/plugin management?
What else do you need/want to make your Xojo development life easier?
BKeeney Software has released version 3.1.9 of the Formatted Text Control, a canvas based word processing control for Xojo Mac OS X and Windows applications. The FTC is an alternative to the built-in TextArea control and allows for in-line graphics, hyperlinks, custom components, better RTF support and much more. The demo project has quite a few examples, including a Masked Text Field, XojoScript code editor example, Embedded FTC (in your own canvas), as well as the word processor with page view.
This is a maintenance release and is free for all version 3 users. It fixes the following items:
– Fixed issue with view scale < 1.0 setting up the clipping page incorrectly (#3500)
– Fixed spelling replace on TestWindow (#3581)
– Fixed Mac text AutoComplete positioning (#3574)
– Fixed Tabstop Widths (#3500, #3576)
– Updated Linux declare for doubleClickTime to include GTK3 in newer Xojo versions (#3575)
– Fixed the Draw Control border on the right side (#3473)
– Added SpellCheck configuration testing to contextual menu on TestWindow
– Added SpellCheck configuration testing to App.Close event
– Fixed resources directory location for the the Spell Checker initialization
– Added more comments in code if plugins are missing
The Formatted Text Control costs $150 and is 100% unencrypted Xojo code. Version 3 and above requires the use of the Text Input Canvas plugin (included in package) to allow for proper text handling in Cocoa builds. Product page at https://www.bkeeney.com/formatted-text-control/
* PreviewCC now has a ReportFinished event
* Report Designer Help menu item that goes to the documentation
* BandType constants in PAF_PrintBand
* Datestamps in the header and footer can now be formatted individually (#3572)
* Ease of installation improvements
* Code demo window order of operations, design, and reports improved
* BKS_Shorts.ImageItem constructor copies over aspect ratio boolean
* Moved the PAF_PrintKit.StylesLoad call from App.Open event to winReportDesigner.Open event
* Moved Designer Constant “Page Placeholders” (Timestamp, PageNumber, PageCount) into constants of ReportBKS
* Property list uses shared disclosure triangle drawing method now
* Property list draws backgrounds for disclosure triangle and ellipsis to fix overlap issues
* Removed workaround for 64 bit text splitting as the issue has been marked as fixed in 2017r2 (#3567)
* Removed “ReportRun” notification sent through pfDispatcher, replaced with ReportFinished event on the ContainerControl
* Removed global setting for date formatting for header and footer, fields can now be individually formatted
* winReportDesigner.HandlePrint will now properly show the printer dialog for each print, as a user expects.
* winDBConnection Password no longer a required field to attempt a connection
* Added constant to recognize, or ignore, MS SQL Server (for future release).
* DynaPDF Renderer now draws images properly in high resolution
* Enum properties in the property list no longer have empty first value (causing KeyNotFoundException when selected)
* Report Designer no longer leaves on an extra “g” when finding the app name automatically (only affects Debug environments)
* Email PDF example protected against bad SSL settings
* Constants no longer get drawn several times in the designer (#3578)
* Error properly reported if no rows are returned from a SQL error
* winDBConnection will no longer show an empty MsgBox when connecting to some database types
* Image scaling no longer refuses to scale up, this improves how low resolution images are handled
* SC_GetCount works again
* Aggregates with body rows of repeating data (i.e. 2nd row data the same as the first and so on) works properly now
For more pricing, demo versions, and training videos please visit http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bkeeney-shorts/
* Super Simple Example project demonstrates the basics of using the core classes
* Checkbox field type for boolean data
* Various improvements to the Property List for ease of use
* Updated PrintField SerializeJSON to use UInteger in preparation for 64bit
* BKS_Shorts.Settings.kUseBarcodePlugin now defaults as False
* OrderBy is now a menu to prevent malformed data (#3519)
* Checkboxes in the property list are now much easier to click on Windows (#3535)
* Property list text fields no longer float when the property list scrolls
* AlternatingList now draws properly on Linux, and code was simplified
* Removed Special/Any filter on select file dialogs, this fixes selection on Linux
* Removed AutoAlias from AddField method, this was creating invalid Aliases as we changed the way we use Alias in Shorts 2.0
* Multiple fields in ORDER BY handled properly in the schema identification process (#3537)
* Report Header with PageBreak no longer adds extra headers on the second page (#3538)
Today we released version 3.1.7 of Formatted Text Control (FTC), our word processor control for Xojo. This is a maintenance release and is recommend for all users. It is a free update for all version 3 license holders.
License holders should get an email from the BKS FileShare system. If you don’t get an email, please contact us.
Changes in this release:
- Fixed issues with Unicode Hyperlinks
- Fixed Windows Compiler Issue
- Fixed HIDPT coordinates issue issue with ConstructContextualMenu event handler
- Added ability to detect Windows HiDPI (requires Xojo 2016 R2 or better.
- TextInputCanvas plugin rebuilt to be 64 bit compatible.
- Spell Checker demo plugin rebuilt to be 64 bit compatible
The Formatted Text Control is a canvas based control for Xojo that implements word processor capabilities similar to Apple Pages or Microsoft Word. The FTC is a canvas (technically Text Input Canvas) subclassed control for Xojo that allows you to instantly add word processing capabilities to your applications. More information, pricing, and demo at http://www.bkeeney.com/formatted-text-control/
We at BKeeney Software are blessed in so many ways. All of our employees bring a unique and interesting mix of talents and experiences. It’s not just about one person and we often bounce ideas off each other to get the best possible result.
In the latest XojoTalk, Paul interviews our CEO, Carol Keeney, and how she uses Xojo and gets her thoughts on databases. Carol has a ton of project management experience that makes running BKeeney Software easy since we often have a half dozen projects going at a time.
She has a lot of database experience too. That has given her the “Database Goddess” nickname. Again, that experience is so helpful for the programmers because, really, you don’t want your programmers designing the database. We tend to do things the easy way which might not be the right way.
I thought it was an excellent interview. You can find the XojoTalk at http://blog.xojo.com/2016/07/26/xojotalk-027-database-goddess/
July 5th is National BKeeney…er…Bikini Day. In celebration we’re offering all of our products at 30% off for the next 48 hours. Apply the coupon BIKINI in our online store to receive the discount on the following products:
ARGen: Our utility for creating ActiveRecord classes for use with Xojo. Make the IDE work for you when developing your Xojo database applications.
BKS Spell Check Plugin: Easily add spell checking to your Xojo applications with our Mac and Windows plugin that can either use the System dictionary or use a Hunspell dictionary.
Calendar Classes: Add Day, Week, and Month views to your Xojo applications.
BKeeney Shorts Professional: Create and render reports in your Xojo desktop and web applications. Renders to screen, printer, HTML, CSV, and PDF formats.
Formatted Text Control: A TextArea replacement that allows inline pictures, hyperlinks, and much more.
FTC and Spell Checker Plugin: Get the FTC control with the spell checker.
Simple Help Editor: Making help systems stinks. This utility helps make it easy.
Styled HTML Field: Export from a StyledText field to HTML. Handy if you’re going to add HTML to emails sent from Xojo applications.
Task Timer 5 (Mac and Windows): If you aren’t tracking your time you’re missing out on a key metric on how well you estimate and where you spend more of your time.
Xojo Trainer (Download and Flash versions): Learn Xojo (offline) from Xojo professionals with over 15 years of Xojo development experience.
Visit our online store to see all our products or visit any of the product pages to get more information on them.
BKeeney Software is pleased to announce a new release of BKeeney Shorts, their Reporting tool for Xojo. BKS Shorts allows users to embed a report designer into their desktop applications and render reports onscreen, to a printer, as well as to HTML, CSV, and PDF formats (PDF requires a DynaPDF license). Web applications can render reports to HTML, CSV and PDF Formats.
Version 1.7 is an extensive update with a new, faster, file format. Users with dynamic queries can now put a summary of selections in the header. Dynamic queries that use popup list selections can now make them optional. And much, much more. Complete change list below.
BKeeney Shorts Product Page: http://www.bkeeney.com/allproducts/bkeeney-shorts/
BKeeney Shorts costs $300 and is shipped with 100% unencrypted Xojo source code.
- Added SupressField property to Fields. This will keep rows with identical text to the row above it from displaying. Resets on each page.
- Added ?? shortcut to Header/Footer bands to be able to put report parameters into the report. Feedback appreciated.
- Added check upon opening reports in the designer to see if all fields in the report are still valid.
- Now provide an error message to user if there were any errors while generating report.
- Added a Version field to the report to make it easier for future file format changes. New file format is 1. Added a conversion routine to convert to version 1.
- The Property List now has a dedicated popup menu for Date fields.
- The Query List Dynamic queries can now be made optional to ‘select all’ for that field.
- Now provide feedback to the user during report generation. This will give rough estimates of numbers of rows created.
- When switching back to Design view we now make sure the thread generating the report is killed if still running.
- Major rewrite to the DBWrapper class to make it much more effecient.
- PAF_QueryCondition made part of the PAF_DatabaseKit and renamed to PAF_DatabaseKit.QueryCondition
- Reports will save the DefaultStyle from the StylesList.
- Added some Localization strings into the object list.
- Removed the Contextual Menu from the Property List format item. Only used for Dates and it now has dedicated Date Popup.
- Added a WaterMark to two of the Coded reports.
- Fixed issue where Grand Summary bands weren’t working.
- Views are now properly vetted through the TableViewAddCheck.
- Rescanning the schema will refresh the object list properly now.
- Can no longer drag a report objects (from the Report section of the Object List) into the designer. Now you can only drag fields and report primitives.
- Repeat Each Page and Page Break are now only valid and displayed for group headers.
- Adding/Removing items from the Designer now updates the Report Objects section of the object list.
- Fixed wording in the Band Editor.
- Background Text Color now saved properly in Style editor.
- Pressing Enter/Return while in the Properties List will update the object in the Editor.
- Fixed issue with report time in Report Footer if user had never set format in preferences.
- Fixed issue with line objects not calculating their top/right property properly.
- Fixed a date conversion issue when formatting the dates to other than default.
- Fixed mouse handling and drawing issues when the canvas width was smaller than the page width.
- Fixed Report window Title not showing on initial save of report in designer.
- Fixed odd random Nil Object Exceptions when updating from the property list.
- Fixed the WindowMenu class to work with multiple menu bars used in the project.
- Fixed issues with the IsFunction property when generating reports.